This week it was announced that Princess Cruises will be the first Carnival Corporation brand to feature the Ocean Medallion™, a wearable device powered by a first-of-its-kind interactive technology platform that enables a new level of personalization for guests onboard their cruise ships.
Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald unveiled the Ocean Medallion during his opening keynote at CES 2017.
“We are in the business of providing our guests incredible vacation experiences that create memories that they will cherish for a lifetime,” said Jan Swartz, president, Princess Cruises. “Ocean Medallion Class will deliver an elevated cruise vacation experience by connecting people, places and cultures from around the world in a more profound way. The service Princess guests have always loved will be amplified by the Ocean Medallion.”
Created to eliminate the room key, the Ocean Medallion is a personal digital experience concierge accessible by all guests using interactive displays throughout the ship, on stateroom TVs or via guests’ own mobile devices. For example, guests can find their way to venues around the ship; make reservations at the Lotus Spa, specialty dining restaurant, and shore excursions; arrange celebrations; view photographs; learn about the destinations they will visit and activities at each port of call and more. The Ocean Compass via Ocean Concierge will invite guests to experiences based on their individual needs, wants and desires.
Similar to the Smart Bands vacationers use while visit Disney Properties, The Ocean Medallion has no on-off switch, no charging, no menu to navigate. Unlike anything in the industry, it can be worn as a pendant on a wristband in a clip or simply placed in a pocket to reveal enhanced services and personalized experiences without guests having to push a button or take any action. It is also waterproof so you don’t have to worry about taking it off when you swim or shower.
Some of the initial service innovations include:
- Ocean Ready: The Ocean Medallion expedites embarkation as required information is added to the guest profile at home.
- Stateroom Access: The Ocean Medallion will also unlock a guest’s stateroom door – replacing the key card and its sign and sail functions.
- HERE and NOW™: Guests can place dining orders and have them delivered to their current location. For example, by using the Ocean Compass guests can order select food and beverages from a lounge chair and not miss a moment of Movies Under The Stars. While Stargazing with Discovery at Sea™ on the top deck, parents can order and surprise the kids with hot chocolate without interrupting a moment of the family fun.
- THERE and THEN™: Guests can place a beverage order and have it delivered to where they plan to be at a designated time. For example, guests wanting to enjoy a glass of wine at the theater can place an order prior to the show and it will be delivered to them at their seat.
- Crew at Your Service: With the OCEAN Medallion, from the moment you embark, your experiences will be curated in alignment with your preferences allowing the crew to assist at all times. For example, a room attendant or bartender will have the ability to assist a guest with booking Lotus Spa services or specialty dining reservations.
- Ocean Navigate: Accessed through the Ocean Compass, guests can learn the whereabouts of their family as they enjoy activities throughout the ship and be guided seamlessly in finding their way around the ship. Friends and family will also be able to easily communicate with each other through seamless messaging service.
Look for the Ocean Medallion Class™ to be available November 13, 2017, onboard Regal Princess, followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in early 2018.