Travel magazine Travel + Leisure has revealed their readers choice ‘World’s Best’ awards for 2011, but more importantly, the top picks for US & Canadian Family Hotels. Rated out of 100, respondents were asked to rate each hotel on a scale of 1 to 5, where “1” means poor and “5” means excellent based on Rooms/facilities, location, service, restaurants/food and value. The list, in it’s entirety, has 50 hotels. In addition to US and Canada, readers also voted on their favorite accommodations in Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Latin America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East
As families plan the remaining weeks of the Summer season hopefully this list can help you pick the perfect location.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando (95.72) – From the unbelievably gorgeous thatched roof to the gazelles that adorn the balconies, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is a beautiful resort that feels like it was dropped in the middle of a game reserve. Besides the array of animals outside your balcony the family friendly amenities include the nicely heated walk in pool, Simba’s Clubhouse kids’ club(for kids aged 4 to 12) and nightime storytime.
- Sanderling Resort & Spa, Duck, North Carolina (94.44) – Situated between the shores of the Atlantic Ocean and the Currituck Sound, The Sanderling Resort and Spa is a beautiful hotel that offers something for the whole family.
- Beaver Creek Lodge, Beaver Creek (93.85) – This luxury Colorado ski resort offers year round excitement and activities. Perfect for families, each room has a sofa, fireplace, and kitchenette.
- Eliot Hotel, Boston (93.75) – This boutique hotel has been owned and operated by the same ‘clan’ for more than 50 years. It is uniquely kid-friendly; teenagers stay for free, and small travelers are treated to rubber duckies and other bath toys. Plus, they allow pets and even offer pet-sitting services.
- Four Seasons Resort, Jackson Hole, Wyoming (93.64) – This year-round resort offers childproofed rooms (upon request). Children 18 years old and under stay free in their parents’ room or suite and nanny service or babysitting services are available upon request.
- Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch, Beaver Creek, Colorado (93.48) – This year-round destination, which is located in the heart of the majestic Rocky Mountains, offers 180 guest rooms and suites that are decked out in Colorado rustic, with custom millwork and plenty of wood, while the marble bathrooms all have soaking tubs. In the Winter it’s a hot family ski destination. Come Summer, it is the perfect location to hike, bike, golf and lounging poolside.
- Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa, Jackson Hole (93.33) – Located less than one mile from entrance to Grand Teton and 60 miles south Yellowstone National Parks, Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa, offers many family friendly amenities. Select rooms include conveniences like fully-equipped kitchens, DVD players, in-room movies, games, and music, as well as spectacular views of Teton Village
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Orlando (93.21) – Famous for their attention to detail, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge looks like a lodge set in the Colorado Mountains. But instead it sits just a ferry away from Disney World’s famed Magic Kingdom. Families can relax by one of their 2 pools or on a white-sand beach, treat themselves to a family-style barbeque at the all-you-can-eat at Whispering Canyon Café, or enjoy Chip ‘n Dale’s Campfire Sing-a-long.
- Sagamore Resort, Adirondacks, New York (93.10) – Located on Lake George, the Sagamore has been extending hospitality to visitors to Bolton Landing for over one hundred years. After your family is finished exploring the trails and playing in the water, your kids can play in the 10,000 square feet of indoor entertainment complex. This thoughtfully planned out space includes Sagamore Field (indoor wiffle ball), Nintendo Wii Stations, 2-half court basketball courts, billiards, foosball, an interactive toddler area, board games and the Sagamore Mini Golf Course.
- Grand Wailea, Maui (93.09) -Located in Wailea Maui, this beautiful resort features something for everyone. Aside from the beautiful beach and 2,000-foot-long pool, the Grand Wailea has a the 20,000-square-foot facility which is designed to accommodate both children and their parents. Kids will learn to make local crafts, play ancient island games, listen to grand storytelling or relax in the movie theater.